This long term project tend not only to invent different technological designs adapted to different contexts, but also to promote the building, the maintaining, the control of the technology by the people themselves.
The project to rethink the way we wash clothes around the world has several aspects:
- Sociology: in many communities, washing days in collectivity (most of the time gatherings of women and children) are also the way to exchange information, to evoque some problems, solve some conflicts and stenghtening a collective (gender) identity and energy. Theese gatherings have also strong cultural and artistic aspects through storytellings and songs. Collective washing is networking. Collective washing is culture. The Open Source Washing Machine project must not destroy this harmony, but simply facilitate the work of washing itself. Collective washing systems are a key point in this project.
- Technology-in-context: How to adapt the technologies to the different climatic, sociologic, technologic, environnemental, energetical, political contexts ?
- Environemental issues: How to find, clean, transport, recycle water for washing ? how to find, process, recycle biologic or chimic detergents ? how to preserve and grow ” washing plants” ?
- Pedagogy, dissemination: Firstly: how to present our works in a non-colonialist way ? how to manage workshops, how to implicate the users ? how to implicate the users ( mostly women) in the complete building and maintaining of their machines ? how to impulse “dissemination workshops” ?
- What else ? participate !
Subscribe to the OSWash Mailing List :
The OSwash mailing list is the first step to present yourself, your interests in the projects, your skills and ideas, and to follow the different discussions.